Punjabi Rajma is an all time favorite vegetarian recipe which goes well with rice. It used to be my Sunday afternoon lunch when I was a kid.
Punjabi Rajma Ingredients
- 1 Cup Rajma Beans or Kidney Beans
- 1 Jug of Water( You need plenty of water to cook it)
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Green Chilli Paste ( or 2 Green chilies finely chopped)
- Cooking Oil 3 tablespoons
- Pure Ghee 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds Powder
- 1 teaspoon Jeera Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 4 Black Elaichis (Black Cardamoms) also called as Moti Elaichi or Badi Elaichi
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Green Coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon of Kasoori Methi(for additional flavor)
- Salt as per taste
Rajma are hard beans and are best cooked in a pressure cooker. But if you are not using a pressure cooker then you will need to boil them for bit longer.
- Wash the Rajma beans first
- Soak them in plenty of water overnight or at least for 6-8 hours. (You can cook them without soaking also but it will take longer to cook).
- Now add the water, salt and Rajma to pressure cooker (if you wish you can discard the water which you used for soaking and use fresh water). Salt will help Rajma to cook them faster.
- Tip: You can also add 1 tablespoon of Oil or Ghee in the water as well this will avoid the beans to dry out.
- Let the Rajma cook for about 15 to 20 minutes on medium heat.
- After cooking does not open the pressure cooker and leave it aside.
- Once the pressure cooker is cool enough you can open it to check if Rajma is cooked or not. (A fully cooked Rajma bean will be soft enough to crush with your fingers. If you find them hard then they need to be cooked more. In that case put the pressure cooker without cover on low
- flame and let the beans to cook further.
- Meanwhile, take a heavy bottomed pan
- Put it on medium heat
- Add Cloves, Black Elaichi in it and dry fry for 30 seconds
- Add 2 Tablespoons of Oil and 1 Tablespoon of Ghee (if you are not using Ghee then simply add bit more oil)
- Add the Garlic Paste.
- Stir for few seconds to ensure the Garlic is not burnt.
- Add the finely chopped onion.
- Stir continuously till the onions are golden brown.(not burnt)
- Add 1 tablespoon of Ginger paste now.
- Add the finely diced tomato (or run the tomatoes in a blender to get a puree like consistency)
- Now add Red Chilli Powder
- Add Jeera Powder
- Add Coriander Powder.
- Add some salt to bind the tastes together (remember you have already added salt in the Rajma while boiling them so just a little salt will do)
- Now add the finely chopped Kasoori methi leaves.
- Add a cup of liquid from your pressure cooker in which you cooked your Rajma.
- Stir it for a minute until the liquid mixes with all the ingredients and bind them
- Now take the pan off the heat and put all the ingredients into your pressure cooker which is already on the low heat.
- Now put it on high heat to bring it to a boil
- Reduce heat and let it cook further for about 5 to 10 minutes ( depending upon what was the status of your Rajma, if they were already fully cooked and soft then you don’t need much cooking)
Serve them with Jeera Rice or Naan .
- Add some fresh coriander just before serving.
- You can add a teaspoon of fresh cream while serving.
- You can add some butter or Ghee while serving.