Man accuses hospital for son’s death

Beautiful silver stethoscope with reflection and blue tint

Manmeet Singh Gill

Tribune News Service

Amritsar, June 29

Members of family of a person who had undergone kidney transplantation at a leading private hospital here has accused the hospital staff of negligence and causing the death of their patient during hospitalisation.

In a complaint to the Commissioner of Police, the deceased’s father, Pardeep Kumar Sahdev of Ram Nagar, Ajnala, has demanded action against the hospital on the bypass road.

The Police Commissioner has forwarded the complaint to health officials after which the Health Department has sent a notice to the hospital.

Sahdev’s son Sahil had undergone kidney transplantation at the hospital on February 8 this year. Two months later, he faced a health issue and he was again admitted to the hospital on April 18.

Sahdev said, “The doctors had promised us that Sahil would be kept in a fumigated room because of his health condition. Later, we were given a room whose AC was not working. Next day, the maintenance staff repaired the machine while the patient was still inside the room.” Due to dust, his health started deteriorating immediately.”

Sahdev said even the treating doctor scolded the maintenance staff for their negligence. “That moment onwards, Sahil’s health started failing. Later, on April 25, after clinical tests, the doctors reported that the patient had developed fungal infection in his lungs,” said Sahdev.

He added that his son had developed fungal infection due to unhygienic conditions in the room and due to the negligence of the staff. He said, “The doctors till April 26 when Sahil breathed his last continued to claim that his condition was improving.” He said it was the duty of the hospital to ensure a safe stay for any patient who has undergone a crucial transplant surgery.

The management of the hospital against whom the complaint has been filed in a text reply stated, “The patient had a rare genetic disorder for which he underwent a renal transplant. Unfortunately, two months later, he expired due to invasive mucormycosis, which is a known opportunistic infection in such immuno-compromised patients.”

The hospital authorities denied having received any notice from the Health Department so far.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here