Flaws alleged in Baba Farid varsity’s admission process

0
11
Posted at: Jul 26, 2017, 12:51 AM; last updated: Jul 26, 2017, 12:51 AM (IST)

Amritsar, July 25

The parents of local students, who have cleared the NEET recently, have released a list of 35 candidates who, as per Baba Farid University of Health Sciences (BFUHS), are eligible for admissions in state colleges under the state quota but are there in the merit list of Haryana as well.
Fearing that the prospects of their children would be affected, they said an inquiry should be conducted to find out how a candidate could be there in the list of Haryana and Punjab simultaneously.
A parent, Dr JS Sidhu, said, “With the BFUHS issuing a controversial merit list by allowing candidates who had not mentioned their state of appearing as Punjab while applying, around 3,000 more students have become eligible to acquire seats in the state-run colleges. A candidate who erroneously mentioned his state as Haryana should not be there in the merit list of that state in case he or she is applying for the state-run colleges in Punjab.”
The parents claimed that getting a domicile certificate issued was easy, so candidates in large numbers managed to get the same and submitted for admissions to Punjab colleges.
They said students of their state should be allowed admissions in the 85 per cent quota. As per the norms, 85 per cent seats are to be filled by students of the state and the rest 15 per cent are there for students of other states on the basis of merit list.
Another parent, Praveen Devgan, said, “The university must take ample precautions to ensure that students from state get priority. If few students are allowed to appear in multiple states, this will hamper the interest of those who have applied only from Punjab.”
Students have filed a writ in the Punjab and Haryana High Court, which is still pending.

All readers are invited to post comments responsibly. Any messages with foul language or inciting hatred will be deleted. Comments with all capital letters will also be deleted. Readers are encouraged to flag the comments they feel are inappropriate.
The views expressed in the Comments section are of the individuals writing the post. The Tribune does not endorse or support the views in these posts in any manner.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here